RYA Advanced Powerboat Course – £350

We could make you a captain of power driven vessels up to 24 metres in length.

Minimum Duration 2 days plus some night hours.

Max student ratio 3:1 per boat.

Or call us on 01202 923 060 (09:00 – 16:00)

Aye aye Captain – You’re Going Pro

You love driving boats. Being on the sea is amazing and somebody said they’ll actually pay you for it?! The RYA Advanced Powerboat course is for experienced boaters who are going to work in the industry.

This two day course will teach you advanced navigation skills, at speed both day and night. You will need a few bits in place before being eligible to attend the course and take the exam.

You will need for the course:

  • To be at least 17 years of age.
  • Knowledge to the level of Coastal Skipper / RYA Yachtmaster shorebased theory.
  • Strongly recommended to hold a relevant first aid certificate.
  • Strongly recommended to hold a VHF SRC operators certificate.

For the RYA Advanced Powerboat exam:

  • Hold an ML5 or ENG1 medical certificate.
  • Either RYA Basic Sea Survival certificate or STCW Personal Survival Techniques.
  • A professional practices & responsibilities certificate (PPR).
  • 30 days at sea including 2 days a skipper.
  • 800 nautical miles logged.
  • 12 night hours logged.

If you hold the Advanced course completion certificate these requirements are reduced to 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles & 12 night hours.

What is the Yachtmaster Theory Course?

The Yachtmaster theory course is a 6 day classroom based navigation course.

You are extremely unlikely to pass the course and exam if you have not attended this navigation course.

You will need a thorough knowledge of the collision regulations, weather systems and effects, tides and navigation techniques.

Your boat handling and practical capabilities will also have to be to a high standard.

What is the Professional Practices & Responsibilities course?

The PPR is an online course for people who are wanting to commercially endorse their certificates. The course will take about 8 hours of home study to complete and it is followed by a 2.5 hour assessment.

The course is broken down into four modules:

  • Commercial environment – how you fit into the professional maritime world.
  • People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.         
  • Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures. ·        
  • Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.

ML5 or ENG 1 Medical

You need an ENG 1 medical certificate if you are a seafarer. A seafarer is somebody who goes to sea for their work.

You will also need an ENG 1 if you are in charge of a ship. Or if you are serving on a merchant ship / yacht.

A list of MCA approved doctors can be found HERE

You need a more relaxed ML5 certificate if you are the master of a ship or commercial vessel that does not go to sea. This certificate will also cover you if you are master or crew of a small commercial vessel (SCV) that doesn’t go outside of category 2 to 6 waters. This means no more than 60 miles from a safe haven.

RYA Advanced powerboat course requires a medical