The RYA Yachtmaster Theory is advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the Day Skipper course. This course equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the Yachtmaster™ Coastal and Yachtmaster™ Offshore and the Advanced (CoC) Powerboat practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. It can be covered as a series of short sessions, as an intensive week-long course, or by distance learning.
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
Students receive an RYA Yachtmaster Navigation certificate and a 10% discount voucher off of future navigation courses. The Yachtmaster theory certificate is an essential course in order to be eligible for the Yachtmaster and Advanced CoC practical exams.
6 DAYS – 09:00 TO 18:00
£399 PER PERSON
- Use of Portland plotter & dividers
- Extensive hand outs
- Refreshments including sweets and biscuits
- Practice charts for navigation exercises
- All three exam papers
- RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased book worth £12.49